Friday, January 21, 2011

In Case You're Ever in the UK

So, before I left I heard that the UK was more progressive when it comes to gluten free options, so I was excited about that but still nervous. I mean, on top of gluten-free I also have to deal with being dairy-free which oftentimes proves to be more difficult, or at least as difficult. Plus, what if these foods were really expensive or they were only at specialty foods out in the suburbs that I couldn't get to? So much to think about.

Well I have already found 2 grocery stores with great gluten free options, Sainsbury and Planet Organic. So, I know that most, if not all, of my readers are back in the US and can't visit either of these stores, but if you ever visit London this might be useful. And I just want to talk about it, hehe :)

A couple highlights from Sainsbury:
-the free from brand which carries pretty much everything. From sauces to cook with, to snacks, to dessert, to baking ingredients
-genius bread which is the best DF/CF bread I have ever had. It comes in two flavors as well: white and brown.

Sainsbury is a big name grocery store with shops on like every corner of the city. Some of them are large and some are small so their amount of gluten/dairy-free options varies but in the bigger ones they have an entire section full of options and everything I've tried from actually tastes good. They have the basics like rice milk, GF flour, rice pasta, etc, but they also have some British classics like mincemeat pies and sticky toffee pudding.
New products available in  the Sainsbury's freefrom range
Photo Source: Sainsbury's Website

And now on to my saving grace of London- Planet Organic- which happens to be right on campus. Not only do they have all of the groceries I need, but they also have a prepared food section that clearly labels what is in and what is not in all of the food, including gluten and dairy free baked goods that are incredible. Its a perfect breakfast stop on the way to class: a muffin and a soy latte. Oh how I much I have missed that basically nutrient-empty breakfast. Another good thing about Planet Organic is that it offers a ton of vegan options for those of you who are so inclined. It can be a tad expensive but everything here is expensive so you learn to live with it.

For those of you who never make it to London, sorry for wasting your time with this post, but for those of you who do come, don't worry because you WILL have something to eat.



No comments:

Post a Comment