Thursday, January 13, 2011

Pie Kick Continues Blueberry Style


So, when trying to figure out a gluten-free pie crust recipe, I made a little too much dough. That is part of the reason I have been on a pie kick recently. The other part is that I love pie and I love making pie. Does anyone else feel like pies are just filled with love? If you bake someone a pie, I feel like it just conveys love. More than any other food. I don't know why but thats what I feel about pie (I just created poetry).

I had one half of a pie crust recipe left, meaning I needed an open-faced pie recipe. When searching through my recipe files on my computer I found a recipe for an open-faced blueberry pie that my mom's friend (and I would say my friend) Myra sent me. Its incredibly simple and requires very few ingredients. I am also anxious to try this same recipe with strawberries or raspberries. I wonder if it would work?

When I told Myra that I made the pie she told me that she has started melting about 4 ounces of almond bark and drizzling it over the crust before filling it. Sadly I didn't do this but it sounds incredible, so I encourage you all to try it.

Alright, down to the point. Here is the recipe:
*Just a warning I filled a deep dish 91/2 inch pie plate. So, its a big pie. If you are using a smaller pie plate you may not need all of the filling.

Open-faced Blueberry Pie
Ingredients
1 egg white, lightly beaten
8 cups blueberries
1 cup water
4 tablespoons cornstarch
4 tablespoons water
1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
pinch of salt

Roll out the pie crust and place it in the pie plate. Crimp the edges any way you like to make it look pretty. For this pie you pre-bake the crust, so place parchment paper inside the plate on top of the crust, including the edges. Fill the plate with dried rice or beans for weight. Bake the crust with weights at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Take out of the oven, remove the weights and parchment paper. Prick the crust with a fork all along the bottom and sides. Put back into the oven for 5-10 more minutes, checking after 3 to prick any bubbles that may be forming. When the crust is baked and golden, remove and let cool for a few minutes before filling. After 3 minutes, brush the crust with the egg white.
Isn't that crust just beautiful?

To make the filling...

Take two cups of the blueberries and put them in a medium saucepan with 1 cup of water. Cover the pan and bring it to a boil.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and 4 tablespoons of water and set it to the side.

When the water and blueberries come to a boil, lower the heat and keep the mixture at a simmer, stirring constantly for about 3-4 minutes or until the blueberries start to burst and juices begin to thicken. Continuing to stir constantly, add in the cornstarch mixture, sugar, lemon juice, and salt. Once mixed together, simmer for a minute until the mixture becomes translucent.

Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 6 cups of blueberries. Spoon this mixture into the baked pie crust then let it sit for at least 2 hours so that the filling can thicken and set. And when its done setting you will have a beautiful pie that will probably turn your lips purple :)

Purple is my favorite color. Just another reason I love this pie.

And this is all that was left at the end of the night...

PS: I don't know if you noticed but its 4:15 AM here. I cannot sleep. This does not bode well for my productivity or attention span tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment